Ginseng Export Laws

Ginseng Export Laws


(CITES stands for the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species which lists ginseng as one of many plant and animal species that need protection.)

  • CITES permits are required for export of American ginseng, and must be obtained from the FWS’s Division of Management Authority (DMA).
  • Complete and submit export application form 3-200-34 to DMA (download at:
  • Photocopies of your valid State ginseng dealer’s permit or license, and of your valid U.S. Department of Agriculture General Permit must be submitted with your application.
  • For the upcoming harvest season, applications for wild ginseng should be submitted to DMA no sooner than July 15th.
  • Applications for wild ginseng from prior harvest seasons may be submitted at any time.
  • Wild ginseng collected in different harvest seasons require separate CITES exports permits issued specific to the season that the ginseng was collected in.
  • Allow DMA 60 days to process your application.
  • A complete original CITES export permit plus two complete copies of that permit, a complete Wild Ginseng Export Report, the original State Certificates, and a shipper’s invoice are all required at the time of export. CITES export permits are valid for six months.
  • For more information, contact DMA at:

Phone: 1-800-358-2104 or 1-703-358-2104

Fax: 1-703-358-2281

E-mail: (This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it)

Web Address:

Provided by the American Herbal Products Association, in cooperation with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service