Ginseng-Harvesters and Collectors
- Harvest season is from September 1 – December 1.
- Only harvest plants that are 5 years old or 3 pronged. Remember, this a minimum harvest age.
- If berries, red or green, are present on harvested root, they need to be planted within 50 feet with no tool other than your finger.
- If you are harvesting on private land, no permit is required. However, we remind you to follow all trespassing laws.
- Sell your ginseng only to a licensed Kentucky Dealer.
- Do not send your ginseng by mail to an out-of-state dealer.
- Do not leave the borders of Kentucky with Kentucky ginseng.
- Harvesting Season: September 1 -December 1
- Buying Season: Green starts September 1
- Dry season: September 15 – March 31
All information courtesy of KY Department of Agriculture.
ALWAYS be sure you understand and follow all State and Federal Ginseng laws. This information is only a guide; be sure to check with your state for the most recent laws and regulations.